Friday, August 9, 2013

Countdown

Seven.  I'm officially counting days now.  I've been counting weeks up to this point, but now that there is only 1 left... unbelievable!

If crazy schedules are any indication of departure drawing close, though, this week may have done it.  In the past 3 days:

  • 26 hours spent at Raystown Lake with a friend (can you say sore?  not quite used to being on the water...)
  • 15 hours spent in Philadelphia and New Jersey for last visits with college friends (at 3 different locations)
  • 7 hours spent in Lancaster doing last minute shopping (thank GOODNESS that part is over) and saying good-bye to a dear friend
  • 9 hours on the road by myself (plenty of time to sing and pray (no radio) and enjoy the lovely humid weather (no air-conditioning))

I thought the coming week was going to be better, but I already have a list of last-minute details, friends to see, suitcases to pack...

People keep asking if I'm ready.  What is "ready"?

  • Most of the items checked off on my to-do list and shopping done: pretty much.  
  • Some good-byes said; many more to come in the next 7 days: not quite in that aspect. 
  • Not a clue what to expect of the first days and weeks and months: I'm not sure I'll ever be ready! 
Amazingly, though, I'm at peace.  I'm the type of person who can easily get worked up and stressed out about the unknown.  And though I know I could probably get there pretty quickly if I let myself dwell on a new city, foreign language, so many people I don't know (save for one teammate!) and what I'll need to accomplish in the midst of all this newness, I'm choosing to trust that God is placing me there and will work out the details.  That in itself is evidence of God's work (contrary to my inclination to worry!).  And I realized tonight that I would really love not to be stressed this week and to be able to spend quality time with people, so I started packing.  This is also unbelievable, since normally that would be a day-before activity.  Maybe I'm more ready than I realize.

No comments:

Post a Comment