This may be a bit late, considering we're on to Christmas (I'll try to update on Christmas before a month goes by :) ), but I was blessed to experience multiple Thanksgiving gatherings. The first, with Czechs, who don't even have this holiday! But my host mother works at the American Embassy, and because she gets the holiday off, she has a party! It consisted of turkey, multiple varieties of boiled potatoes, and lots of people who rotated to and from the table.
 |
| This is the group that started around the table, and as others dropped in, we moved to the small living room and they took our places at the table. Probably 30 some people were in this small flat before the evening was over. |
 |
| 19 kilo turkey (40 lbs!) "carved", or rather chopped into pieces, by my host father, Ondrej |
 |
| I made pumpkin pie, which the Czechs had never had (they tend to make soup out of pumpkin), but they liked it! |
Second Thanksgiving happened a few days later at the flat of some American friends. This was much more American-style, complete with turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, cranberry sauce, corn pudding, and pumpkin pie. 4 Americans and 3 Czechs shared this lovely meal, as well as the things we were thankful for. For this one I got to carve the turkey (a first-time experience) and I was wishing I had taken a little more notice at home when my brother Jesse did it. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment