Monday, February 3, 2014

to walk by faith

The other week I lost a contact.  I don't know how; I just just walking along the street when I felt it slide down my face and disappear.  Now, my contacts are not disposable.  I've had one pair for the past 5 years, and I'm not looking to replace either of them anytime soon.  In fact, I'm not even sure if I can get in Prague the same type of lenses.  So needless to say, I immediately froze and rather fearfully yelled "Help!" to my friends who were a few steps ahead of me.

If you've ever looked for a contact, you know it's rather tedious.  First, I freeze in place, because any step could crush the lens that could be anywhere.  Bending over, trying to see with my one good eye (which is rather difficult as I'm now half-blind and disoriented since my depth perception is off), I scour the pavement and cobblestone for the speck of clear blue.  We gently shake out my scarf and brush off my coat.  I eventually get brave enough to take a step away from the spot to see if it's by my feet.  Nothing.  But after several minutes with 3 of us searching, Jess exclaims, "There it is!" and points to the spot of dirt between 2 cobblestones.  Sure enough.  Vision restored.

How similar this is to my faith at times.  With 2 good eyes, I walk knowingly and confidently, maybe not even noticing when I exercise faith.  Even with 2 bad eyes I can take steps; steps that are very much in faith as the unknown is in front of me.  But with one good eye and one bad eye, when I'm not purposefully holding on to faith and let doubt and fear in, I end up frozen, disoriented and confused - afraid to take a step because I'm not at all confident where the next step should be. I fear that my foot will land where it shouldn't and cause irreparable damage.

How much I need the lens of faith!  To enable me to walk confidently and purposefully.  To enable me to see clearly; maybe not always physically, but sure of my spiritual vision.  To walk unfaltering, knowing that even if my step isn't precisely "right", my God is in the midst of it and is able to restore anything I mess up.  Unlike my contact, though, I don't think I can find that kind of faith.  It can only be bestowed upon me and claimed.  Oh, to claim the fresh vision of faith for each moment!


No comments:

Post a Comment