Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Třináctka holiday

My church goes on a yearly holiday together. For a week. In the mountains. (At least, it was in the mountains this year.) So this was last week's experience.

I was looking forward to this opportunity to get to know people, since it's rather difficult on a Sunday morning. On a Sunday morning, there are a whole lot of adults, even more kids, and it's hard to meet new people. So I knew some families, but really not very many. I knew this holiday would be difficult because I expected mostly Czech, but I'm not sure I was really prepared for what it would be like for me personally, as an introvert, single and without children (there were maybe 70-80 people there throughout the week. All but 6 were young families with children - 2 older women, 2 younger guys, and Brittany and myself).

First of all, it's hard for me to interact in groups of people. A few people are fine, but more than, say, 3, and my senses are overloaded and the often best I can do is listen to conversation around me and laugh at the appropriate times.

Add in a foreign language component, and I'm completely at a loss. And that's what much of the week was - people enjoying each other's company in groups. It's pointless for me to join a group, since I won't understand anything that's being said and it's kind of awkward. And the group would know that I don't understand, which just compounds the awkwardness.

But two things were a relational blessing this week:
  1. Mealtimes. The ability to join or be joined by one family at meals where Brittany and I could introduce ourselves to the parents and if their English was good enough, actually get to know them a bit. Or if their English was not good, for me to ask in Czech what they did that day or what their children's names are (and hopefully understand their response). I was so happy to have this simple conversation in Czech with an older woman, Marta, and then have her greet me enthusiastically this past Sunday.
  2. A younger couple, Honza and Maru, took pity on us and invited us along with the other childless couples on hikes. It was great to get to know them a bit, and I appreciate their welcome and teaching me which mushrooms are edible. :) Because of them, it occasionally felt like we had a "place" throughout the week. 
I'm glad I went. Though I can't say I have significantly deeper relationships, my acquaintance base is significantly expanded, which is at least a start! And I have to say, I'm also significantly more motivated to learn this language...

And there were many enjoyable activities and the nature was fantastic! Some highlights form the week:

Campfires


Hiking and picking wild food




And beautiful views





1 comment:

  1. Beautiful pictures. Sounds like a valuable, worth-while experience!

    ReplyDelete