Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Birthday project part 2

Here it is - the second half of the birthday project! Though I'm not sure I did quite as well at accomplishing this half. :P
  • see the Prague Zoo with a child
with 2 students from an English class
half check. Went to the zoo. Does being there with a 20 year old Russian student so excited to walk through the bat cave count (and yes, there were bats flying all around our heads)?


  • attend a classical concert



check. Thanks to Jess and Stacy for accompanying me! Unfortunately, I don't remember what was performed...


  • visit the grave of a famous composer



check. Czech's own Dvorak, and Beethoven in Vienna


  • explain why I'm in Prague in Czech

check... kind of. I was with my Czech teacher and she helped me quite a bit...


  • have a meal in a Czech village



check. This one was at a 300 year old tavern and I managed to order garlic soup and bread slathered in lard.


  • have a conversation with an older Czech person about his/her life
kind of... depends what you consider older :) Older than me, yes.


  • send at least 12 letters/cards (snail mail) to people outside my immediate family (who knows, it could be to you!)



maybe... I'm not so good with the counting ones. I'm not sure I hit 12 since last November, though it may have been close..


  • run a race in Prague
This is the map I used. You can't see very well, but the circles with numbers were the points where I needed to check in, using only this map and a compass.

nope. Thanks to my friend, Hanka, I did an orienteering race, but not in Prague, and it was more of a trial race for those new to it. But it was actually a lot of fun and I would do it again if I had a chance!


  • give a hug daily
yeah, no. I started well... 


  • try one of the kinds of sausages from the supermarket

check. some kind of ham sausage with herbs, I think. It's really hard to guess what they are by the names... This one wasn't too bad.


  • extend 12 invitations to a meal/drinks
again, not so good with the counting ones. it's possible it happened.


  • buy a comfortable chair for my flat before the end of 2013


check. Got the box home from IKEA on public transportation and managed to put it together myself.


  • see my 3 nephews via skype

check. Not for long, but done!


  • spend some time with the Roma people
check. It was a short time, but I accompanied a friend who works with a Roma church to her kid's club one evening to help them prepare for an Easter program..


  • visit a Christmas market outside of Prague

check. Vienna while on a run for my visa.


  • spend a night in a tent or under the stars
nope. Again, bad note to end on! I had a perfect opportunity, but I opted out. It was an overnight trip with Robinson (kid's club from church) and many of the boys choose to sleep outside, but I chickened out and slept inside with the girls. 

1 comment: