Some things definitely haven't changed:
The same busyness at the mall and supermarket.
The same beautiful old building and views (you really should visit! :) )
The same waiting at tram stops on cold days hoping the tram isn't running too late.
Yes, there are changes:
New stops on one of the metro lines.
New buildings in places that used to be fields.
New trams replacing old ones.
Friends' children who were babies and so big and running and walking and talking.
And my living situation is new. It's really handy being a lot closer to the center and to friends right now, but it's only temporary and the transition in this has it's own difficulty:
Not having an address.
Needing to wash ALL my clothes here because it was stored in a musty basement.
Having to cook all my own meals for dietary reasons. On a two burner hot plate that doesn't fit 2 pots well together. And wash dishes at a sink that's awkwardly far from the front of the counter. And a fridge that really isn't meant to store much food for any length of time.
And my feet are cold ALL THE TIME. Even with slippers. It's really annoying.
![]() |
| (disclaimer: not my picture) |
I am grateful for God's consistency and faithfulness. He has given strength in this first week that I was pretty sure I didn't have a week or two ago. He will continue to give strength. He will continue to provide. As 2016 arrived, I was reminded of these verses from Isaiah:
2015 was difficult and I don't want to forget what God has been doing in me, but the struggles themselves... I'm not rehashing that. And I am claiming new and amazing things for 2016! Even in the midst of transition. Already God is making ways where it seems there was none. One example from this week:
Forget the former things, do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland.
I needed an appointment with a gastroenterologist within 10 days of arriving in Prague to get my medication. I tried calling the clinic where I had previously gone, and couldn't get through. I emailed, and received no response. I emailed a different address and finally got a message from the director that they were no longer accepting new patients. What?! I'm not a new patient, and I had told them that. Discouragement!
Not knowing what else to do, I contacted an English-speaking center that has a good reputation that looked like they had gastroenterology. Hope! Actually, no, they require you to meet with a GP who will then refer you to a gastroenterologist. Frustration! Fortunately, I could get an appointment for the following day, so I went, told the doctor my situation and she asked what insurance I had. Basically self-pay for which I get reimbursed. Oh, well that shouldn't be a problem to get in since clinics have a limited amount of money they can use for patients on Czech insurance. But since I don't have Czech insurance, my old clinic should take me. Hope again! The office coordinator (who schedules these referral appointments), on the other hand, said the clinic had been turning down patients completely. And that most gastroenterologists are scheduled a few weeks out. Hope weakening! But she would make some calls the following day and get back to me.
I went right from this appointment to a Bible study. This particular group I've never attended before. It was a contact from a friend from a former Bible study and they are doing a Beth Moore study I'm interested in, so contacted the girl and went. There were only 2 others there, but both God-appointments, I'm convinced. One is studying Czech at the language school where I'll be going and I was encouraged by her feedback. The other is an eye doctor with connections to the gastro clinic I had been trying to contact. When she found out the situation, she said, "Oh, I'll call them tomorrow and see if I can get an appointment for you." Some hope again! Though slightly skeptical...
I don't know what miracles she and God worked, but she texted me the following morning saying that she talked with the secretary (the manager's wife) and I should call them and schedule an appointment. Lo and behold, I called, this time the phone was answered, the woman spoke English, knew who I was, and was able to schedule an appointment for Tuesday (the day before I need my medication) after I told her the following week was too late.Definitely a way through the desert. And I'm counting on the many more to come, even when my eyes can't see them and my mind can't imagine them. Thankfully God does.

encouraging post... thanks for sharing
ReplyDelete