Don't
leave us behind.
(Side
note: This is a somewhat vulnerable topic to share about, but it's
reality, and I think sometimes we're too afraid to talk about those
sensitive areas because of the fear of coming across as insensitive.
But isn't ignoring it just as bad?)
Here's
the thing about now being an "older" single woman: though
singleness has its advantages, it can also be an incredibly isolating
place (compounded as a single female expat). I don't deny that those in marriages also experience
loneliness and isolation, and I grieve with those of you in that. As
a younger single woman, I had more friends who also shared this
single stage of life with me, and I have often reflected that when I
was surrounded by good friends who were also single, who could
relate, who had the freedom to be spontaneous on a Friday night or
the availability to go on vacation with me, I was fairly content. I
felt understood and like I had a place. As I get older and have fewer
and fewer friends (especially close friends) in this stage of life,
it becomes increasingly harder to find that place, especially in a
culture that, in some ways similar to the US, is fairly independent
and not as open to sharing life with others. I could live in a place
of self-pity, or
I can find myself begrudging those who have someone to help them:
carry bags
of groceries
home
(especially
when you are carrying it all by hand... no auto transportation
here!).
Or putting together furniture. Or having help figuring out all the
legalities of visa and managing appointments. Of not having the
company and social life I'd like. I don't want to live in that place
of dwelling on what I don't have. But I DO still need community.
Yes,
I'm reflecting on this after the wedding of a dear friend, but it's
highlighting a piece for me that I've often thought about in the
past. Couples, families... don't leave out the single people in your
life because you're married, because you share the same stage of life
with other couples and families. Yes, those relationships are
important. But you need more than couple relationships. You also need
me as a single people in your life - to remind you of how to interact
with those who aren't going through the same things. To find ways to
relate outside of house or babies or couple issues. To be vulnerable
in some of these things even if I can't completely relate. But I'm
honored by you bringing me in and yes, I care about those things with
you. Neither is it the whole of who you are. You are not your husband
(or wife) or kids or home. That's not your identity. You need me to
bring another perspective into your life. I have a place at your
table as well. I have something to offer - important pieces to offer
without a spouse, and as a woman, without a husband. A man does not
suddenly validate me or validate my ministry, it does not make me
more worthwhile or usable or acceptable.
And
we singles need you. I need you. I need community, and community
outside of other singles (and this peer group is less and less the
older I get). I need places where I am welcomed in and given space
and treated as equal and worthwhile IN my singleness - where I feel
like I have a place and am not less than without a partner. I need
the company and friendship of both of the partners in a marriage,
even (and sometimes especially, since more of my life is relating to
the same gender) of the opposite sex. I need to learn to relate to
families as a whole and celebrate with you in stages of life that I'm
not experiencing.
Some
more practical pieces that I've experienced or heard:
Please don't assume that I'm too busy; sometimes I create busyness BECAUSE I
don't have other places to spend it.
Please don't assume that I don't want to spend time with your crazy family.
Yes, sometimes that's true and I need my space and peace. But I am
honored to be thought of and invited in. Please don't assume that a
refusal means I'm not interested. Hopefully I communicate that.
Please don't assume that it will be awkward. It will be awkward if you think
it will be awkward (3rd or 5th wheel, anyone?). I want to be secure
enough to enjoy you and your family and company no matter my state.
If I'm not secure (and it definitely happens at times!), that's mine to work through in my identity with God.
Please don't hold back because it might cause pain. Granted, sometimes it is
hard for me. But the tension and feelings of isolation increase when
communication becomes guarded for fear of hurt. Let's be authentic
and support each other in the rawness of all of it. I learn to honor
and serve others well when I take the pain to God and receive the
strength to truly be with you in your joy and pain. I honor you by
sharing my heart and the place I'm at without placing expectation or
guilt on you. And we both feel seen and understood when we can be in
it together without giving or taking offense. (side note: not every
single or disappointed person is in a place to handle this. I get
that. Be sensitive to your friend.)
At
the same time, please don't flaunt your "success" by
demanding I celebrate or be offended with you... this occasionally
happens by gushing about your joys and pride or lamenting how
demanding your life is because of it the children or
responsibilities. You can help me by not letting me do the same about
my singleness. We've all got our stuff. Let's find a balance
together.
Please
DO invite me to join you. Make space for me – sometimes into your
family time or time with other families. A dinner. A walk. A
playground trip. I'm happy to be thought of.
Please
DO ask or initiate conversation about life and stages of life. I want
to know I'm seen and heard in that area, even if you can't
specifically relate. I want to do the same with you. Don't let it be
an awkward or shameful thing.
Please
DO notice the single people around you: keep your eyes open and
notice where they may or may not have community.
Please
DO let us make community together. The young, the old. The single,
the married. The childless, the overflowing family. The hurting, the
healthy. The giver, the receiver. We all need each other; different
ways in different seasons. We all have seasons to give and to
receive. But let's find community and do it well.
No comments:
Post a Comment