It seems fitting every time I return to the States and as I notice what is different, what I've missed, etc., to share them with the world. Maybe you don't care. Maybe it's just for my own remembrance. But then again, many do ask, "What have you missed? What food do you want to eat when you're here?..."
But also, in general I haven't been looking forward to being back in the States. To family, yes. To the peace of my parents' home, yes. But not to the general atmosphere in the States and the limitations due to COVID. So it's also a good practice to name some of the things that have especially given me joy.
So, if it's interesting, these are a few of the noticings this time around, both specific joys and random strangeness (according to this European dweller):
- the goodness of meals from the garden
- sweet corn and fresh, juicy peaches
- the number of people in stores NOT wearing masks. In the Czech, if people are told they should wear masks, they wear masks.
- so many trucks (pick-up trucks) and large vehicles on the road
- American flags everywhere (Czechs aren't so patriotic to need to display their flag)
- so many random text messages: reminding you of doctor appointments, from the phone company wanting you to purchase an add-on,
- boatloads of cereal options in the grocery aisle
- peanut butter M&M's. Yum.
- the number of empty shelves in store aisles during this season - not finding what I want
- lovely sunny fall days as opposed to rainy fall days
- people in public who strike up random conversations with you
- umpteen recorded options when I call to make an appointment somewhere
- the relief of being able to explain what I need or want (in stores, at appointments, etc) in English rather than trying to figure out how I might say it in Czech
- it's generally "Jan and Maggie" together, according to my youngest nephew. "Hi, Jan and Maggie!", "Jan and Maggie, what are you doing?" 😄
- the delight of fall camping, s'mores and mountain pies - along with the overcrowding of campgrounds on the weekends!
- wide open space and yard to be outside and explore - especially for Maggie!
- how few steps I can actually take in one day: a record low of 214 (granted, it counts on my phone and I don't carry it with me around the house. But in Prague outside of COVID season, it was rare to have a day less than 5,000 or 10,000 of just normal activity.)
- package delivery at your doorstep by Amazon within a day or two of ordering
No comments:
Post a Comment