Saturday, April 8, 2017

missing a piece of Easter

I went out to visit Easter markets with a friend today, and as I returned home, I realized something - only once, in a small box of decorated eggs, did we see the symbol of the cross. Or any religious symbol, for that matter. Spring is everywhere, and other symbols of Easter - flowers, eggs, chicks. Loads and loads of chocolate and candy eggs in every size - some up to a foot tall with a Batmobile inside - being sold in every supermarket. But no crosses. Nothing resembling the reason for Easter as I know it.

For most people, including all of my friends who aren't a part of my church, Easter Sunday holds no special plans. Monday, possibly, as it's a State holiday and Czechs have some unique traditions. (see this article if you haven't heard before, or google Czech Easter traditions). But Sunday may be an ordinary day.  In some ways it feels very foreign to me, since I have many great memories of Easter. Getting up in the dark and being driven to the park overlooking the river to join my church in a sunrise service (maybe not always great being woken up so early, but still..).  The thrill of "He is not here. He is risen!" A new flowery Easter dress. Hunting for Easter baskets with my siblings. White lilies at church. The joy with which "Christ the Lord is Ris'n Today" is sung. Extended family together for lunch and all day. The whole joyous atmosphere, full of excitement and celebration, throughout the entire day. The atmosphere in Prague is nice - full of life and beauty, but without the cross and without the empty grave, it's different. It feels empty. In that respect I appreciate my church family and the parts of the celebration I can experience with them. I miss the fullness of the Easter celebration at home, but am making new memories.



No comments:

Post a Comment